Sunday 29 April 2007

Memes

I enjoy reading these snippets of people's experiences and opinions. I came across this one at Red Shoe Ramblings - debrichardson.com/blog/ and thought I'd have a go at answering those that survive the trip across the pond:
Either/Or
james brown or marvin gaye? errr... neither
chinese or indian takeout? Indian. Chicken and spinach balti, please.
fleece or knitted blanket? knitted!
wildflowers or arrangements? Wildflowers.
tradition or shakeups? Both. Depends on the context. What drives me to distraction though are smug modernisers who lack the nouse to see they're only re-inventing the wheel.
cello or trumpet? Cello.
watch-wearing or no? No! I refuse to wear one, and I'm rarely late.
salt water or fresh (for swimming)? Jumping the waves on the North Cornwall coast! Water has to be crystal-clear for me to swim, after emerging from a lake-swim covered in leeches when I was a child.
pants or shorts? In the UK this refers to knickers. Pants are big waist-high things that swathe the lower torso. Hipster shorts [or boy-knickers, as my daughter calls them] seem to have superceded thongs [which I absolutely refuse to wear]. I recently bought some shorts, and very comfortable they are too.
chatspeak or absolutely NOT? My late-teen daughter loathes chatspeak; my fifty-something best-friend has embraced it. It amuses me to try to decipher it.
digital camera or old-school? Digital. Wonderful invention - even if it took me four months to summon up the courage to take it from its box and learn to use it.
wireless or plugged in? Wireless.
waltz or tango? I learnt to ballroom-dance as a child, because I coveted the strappy silver heels and a lilac frock. The waltz felt grown up and romantic; the tango was hard and meant wearing horrible black character-shoes. Now I think the tango is the sexiest dance [well, second only to watching my husband jive] and I'd love to find a pair of those elegant character shoes.
time or newsweek? Are these magazines? I stopped buying newspapers since being able to read the Guardian and timesonline.
waterbed or mattress? Hahaha... waterbeds... 1970s... [say no more]
cream and sugar or not? No thanks. A Coffee Republic skinny latte please.
Channel4 or BBC News? Channel4 - I like the format and presenters.
John Snow or Jeremy Paxman? Both!
iTunes or something else? My daughter bought me an MP3 player for christmas. I'm just starting to lose my fear of it and have uploaded one track!
scented candles or unscented? I think you have to pay a fortune to get nicely scented candles [which I can't afford]. I like burning aromatherapy oils - particularly neroli and sandalwood, and Nag Champa incense when I'm in the mood.
prairie or mountain? Few mountains in the UK, and no prairies in this increasingly urbanised island. I love forests, hills and valleys, craggy coastlines.
socks or barefoot? Socks in cold weather. Barefoot for the 2 weeks of the year known as The English Summer.
matt damon or ben affleck? This is a generational thing. More appropriate for me would be: Robert de Niro or Al Pacino? To which I answer: both!
brass or pewter? Pewter. Although I prefer gold to silver jewellery.
wool or cotton? Both. But I can't wear wool next to my skin.
willow tree or pine? Both. I love the smell of a pine forest.... the elegance of the willow. Most of all though, the English Oak.
France or italy? Italy. We honeymooned in Paris, and I hated it.... far too frenetic for me and we had rubbish food. We arranged a premature return, dashed home, grabbed the camping gear, drove to Wales, pitched in a damp and windswept farmer's field and played pocket-chess by gaslight whilst quaffing a nice French red. Bliss.
electric or gas stove? I have electric, but I'd prefer a gas hob and electric oven.
thrift store or outlet? I'm not sure what an outlet is. Is it an out-of-town cut-price mall? Is a thrift store a charity shop or a Poundland-type shop?
My mother's an accomplished charity-shopper. I have her on the lookout for some pale cotton-velvet curtains that I can cut up to dye for textile art.
sophia loren or liz taylor? dunno... I prefer Germaine Greer, Lucinda Lampton, Emma Thompson... clever, funny, edgy women.
japanese garden or english garden? My garden's too English [way too much foliage] to be able to sustain a Japanese garden. My husband makes beautiful faux-bonsai though. Here's some pics:


No comments: