Saturday 5 May 2007

Lunar bear


Recycled painted silk/viscose velvet.

How I wish I'd kept a journal back then.
Erica would have been 9, 10... maybe 11. She'd been unwell, or upset, or deserving of a treat - I don't remember - but it occasioned a trip to Hobbycraft where she saw a silk scarf kit. She sketched the designs and came home to design her own gutta-outlined and painted silk scarf, backed with silk/viscose velvet:
She wore the scarf with pleasure and pride, until I would imagine it was no longer considered to be cool.
Lunar bear is made from the recycled velvet.
If at all possible I want to include Erica's habotai paintings in the quilt - but it will require thought about how to use such lightweight fragile fabric.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember making that scarf. I'd been unwell, it was either just after or just before Xmas and I'd been off school for quite a long time. ^ and as usual super-mama came to the rescue. <3

I love the lunar bear, and I'd love to see the sun and the birds included somehow, although not so much the cat; my 11 year old art wasn't that hot in that particular bit. XD

I love you so much, Mama - and I miss you like crazy. Will you be on MSN today? I'd love to have a chat. Kisses and hugs, Erica. xXx

shula said...

How beautiful.

You could strengthen them with some quilting, perhaps.

Just a thought.

Eve said...

Shula, thank you!
I think I'll use some stronger, similar-coloured dupion beneath them. Then, as you say, fairly close quilting. Any subsequent fraying could then look a bit like peeled layers, stabilised if necessary with embroidery.