Tuesday 8 May 2007

Belt and braces...

... and still I'm convinced my trousers will fall down - metaphorically speaking.

I have a tendency to be overly concerned with strength of construction. Following Jude Hill's work http://spiritcloth.typepad.com/spirit_cloth/
is teaching me the beauty of raw edges and the effects of age and wear on fabric. I would never before have raw-edge appliqued - certainly not something as flimsy as habotai. But I love the effect, and the fact that if and when it frays, I'll repair with embroidery.


a scrap of painted or dyed silk habotai, stitched in place with two rounds of running stitch in embroidery thread.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhh pretty moose!! I love him, thank you! :D

Eve said...

Is it the moose, not the reindeer?
I can't tell the difference - is there a difference? :P

Glad you like him :)

jude said...

i always have trouble leaving comments here, what is it with blogging sometimes? i often use a cheesecloth supplementary layer when using fragile fabrics, seems to give them a longer life especially if quilted down. gotta use all those cool fabrics, make things so interesting.....

shula said...

That Jude,

Quietly changing the world, she is.

Eve said...

I'm so sorry - I've missed the comments again!
Thank you so much for the tip, Jude!
Shula, you're so right!