Saturday 14 April 2007

Planning the full moon panel


The dark blue halo on the background still has a discernable edge that needs to be blended and faded out. This is important because the final quilting lines will follow the silver/pearl rays.

I shall paint fine rays with pearl Lumiere, and accentuate later with pearl or silver stitching in places.

The [lovely oyster-coloured] viscose satin I'm using for the 'light' moons is cotton-backed and heavier than the cotton background. The circular cut should minimise fraying, so I shall raw-edge surface-applique it to the background, cutting away the ghostly background beneath. I shall machine zig zag to secure in position then hand embroider with variable length satin stitch.

I need to decide on the pattern and/or symbols to be embroidered [self-coloured] on the surface of the moon. It would be better to have this complete before appliqueing.

I keep saying 'shall', but of course decisions are usually made on the hoof. So much for planning!

The holidays over, I have to drive my daughter back to university today and ensure that I contain my tears until the journey home. The weather tomorrow is forecast to be fine, so I shall try to lose myself in a day of dyeing outdoors.

No comments: