Sunday 22 April 2007

Warts 'n all

It is a source of inspiration and great pleasure to read textile art blogs, but it is also an uncomfortable reminder of my limited talent and skill. I would not usually want anyone to see these pictures... my work in its raw state, warts 'n all, but I need to know Erica's honest opinion about how this quilt is progressing. If need be, I'd rather return to the drawing board if the idea, the designs and colours are not pleasing to her.


This picture shows the placement of 'dark' and 'light' areas of the moon. The dark of the moon is the realm of dreams, the subconscious, inner wisdom. The images are thus shadowy, misty, ephemeral. In the top left-hand corner is a piece that will be appliqued [sewn] in position - it is an image that emerged during the colour-dyeing process, resembling 'guardian' figures. The animals are all nocturnal creatures - in this panel, the lunar hare and the bear.


The applique in this panel is of a goddess. There's a luna moth, an owl, reindeer and moose [had to get a moose in somewhere :)]


Its hard to see the applique in this photo, but its another 'guardian' form. There's another luna moth, a hare and badger.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mama, it's me; Erica.

I LOVE the quilt so far! It's totally gorgeous. I love all the little critters, and the colours and patterns are beautiful. I have no idea why you were so worried!! :D There's nothing that I don't like about it. :) I've tried to think of something but I can't, it's fantastic; thank you so much! I love you so much, Mama. xXx

Unknown said...

One other thing. I especially love the rabbits and hares! They're sooooo cute! I love the badger and the moose too. :D hehe. Hell they're all cute. ^_^

Joy Manoleros said...

I wouldn't worry about any "warts". What I see is wonderful. I'd love to see it in its entirety when it's finished.

Isn't it amazing how the glasses we view others' art with are different than the glasses we use to look at our own? That's why I am loving these blogs. When someone leaves a comment, it helps me stand back and see it through different eyes. And it's usually good.
Don't forget to post the finished product!

P.S. I'm on the art quilt ring right before you. :o)

Eve said...

Thank you!