Tuesday 10 April 2007






I love my paintbox.
I can't paint or draw, but I can colour-in!

I bought the Winsor & Newton watercolour box in a half price sale about fifteen years ago. It came with a few basic colours which I've since added to, but I've yet to need to replace any - the merest touch of a damp brush and its loaded with intense pigment.


I'm interested to see which colours have been most used, which barely touched.


Top of the list comes Payne's Grey. I love this moody blue-grey, from its inky darkness to the translucent shadowy veil.












Next most used:
Indian Yellow, French Ultramarine, Permanent Rose and Olive Green











Least-used:

Winsor Yellow, Scarlet Lake, Cadmium Red, Winsor Blue, Winsor Green, Viridian, Raw Sienna, Indian Red and Raw Umber.

The Winsor yellow comes as no surprise - I've an aversion to acidic yellows, although it mixes interesting greens.
Scarlet lake and cadmium red, Winsor green and viridian, are just 'not my colours'.
I'm surprised to rediscover Winsor blue - an intense warm-blue.
Similarly, I've under-rated the earth colours Raw sienna, Indian red and Raw umber.


This has been an interesting exercise for me, and useful to see how true my camera reproduces the colours.

No comments: